Tuesday, January 15, 2013

And So It Begins

I finally got some time to start on the camera tonight. This thing is a freaking nightmare to take apart... I did not get very far into the tear down, but so far, I have learned a few things:

1.) Nihon Kosokki apparently used the torque of an ape, and thread-lock while putting all the damned screws in...

2.) This camera uses screws and set-screw that I normally find in mechanical watches (i.e. small).

3.) Modified (read filed down) horology screw drivers become tiny little objects that love to puncture your finger.

4.) This is going to be a challenge. I like that.

Anyway, there are only a few pictures, because I have to be at work in roughly 6.5 hours. More progress will be coming.

You can see some of the old, solidified grease around the spacers. From what I have found with cameras' is that most of the problems stem from the lubricants used, dry and "gunk" up. All will be taken care of when I throw these in the ultrasonic tank.


The parts that have fought me tooth and nail... I don't know if it was old grease or thread locker or plating gull, but damn...


This is what I found to be the most interesting thing, tonight; the set-screws. I have only see these this small in watches. For a scale reference, that is a standard sewing pin...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment